Ground beef and breadcrumbs, some onions and an egg
My mouth is watering so please don’t make me beg
I know everybody’s got their tastes and that’s just fine
But if you say that you don’t like it, then you’ve never tasted mine
I’m talkin’ ’bout meatloaf (meatloaf)
Have you seen the episode of Phineas and Ferb with the band Tiny Cowboy singing their song “Meatloaf”? Tiny Cowboy, awesomely voiced by Peter Noone and the late Davy Jones, a band that bears more than a passing resemblance to Oasis? Seriously, listen to the song and see if you don’t spend the rest of the day singing a Meatloaf/Wonderwall mashup.
I’m talkin’ ’bout meatloaf, I’m a meatloaf lover
I’ll tell your brother, yeah, don’t need no other
Talkin’ ’bout (meatloaf) meatloaf, meatloaf lover
Warms you from the inside like it’s made by your mother
This simple meatloaf is adapted from my neighbor’s recipe. My kids prefer it to “fancier” meatloaves we’ve tried, which is fine with me. I don’t even pull out the recipe card to make it. I do double the original so we have leftovers for sandwiches.
So moist and savory, it’s beef that’s shaped like bread
Don’t know what that aroma’s doing in my head
Whatever we don’t eat we’ll discreetly put away
But never fear, my meatloaf, we’ll eat again someday
- 2 pounds ground beef or turkey
- 2 eggs
- 2 handfuls quick cooking oats (gluten free if desired)
- 1/4 cup homemade dairy-free onion soup mix, made with gluten-free bouillon, or one packet of dairy-free onion soup mix
- Mix all of the ingredients together thoroughly.
- Place in a greased loaf pan.
- Pat down evenly and smooth the top.
- Bake at 350 degrees, covered, for one hour.
- Uncover and bake for 10-15 more minutes, or until cooked through.
If you sign up for a slightly abbreviated (and cheaper!) version of the class I took and enter my name (my real name), you get $10 off the cost of the course. I can’t recommend it enough. Then we can get together and talk about the creative things we’ve done in our homes.