Of course we made pie on Pi Day! I am just now sharing the recipe, but it will be here for next year. Or tomorrow. Or today. Or the day you find dairy-free pie crusts marked down to 49 cents at Aldi. Whenever.
Aunt Laura makes this pie with condensed milk. I’ve had success with soy creamer and even soy milk, although sometimes the cocoa separates and float to the top. It still tastes great! This time I tried canned coconut milk and the consistency was perfect. I did need to add 10 minutes to the cooking time, though. Enjoy!
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup dairy-free margarine, melted
- 2 eggs. beaten
- 2/3 cup soy creamer or canned coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 dairy-free pie crust
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the pie crust in a pie pan.
- Whisk the ingredients together until well mixed.
- Pour into the unbaked crust.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes.
- Shake gently.
- If the filling jiggles anywhere but in the very center, bake for 5-10 more minutes.
- Let cool completely before slicing and serving.