Today Eli is ten. Double digits. Goodness. To celebrate, we are on year seven of a John Deere cake for dessert and year six of ninjabread men for a school treat. He’s a man who knows what he likes. And you can’t say I haven’t gotten my money’s worth out of those purchases.
Parenthetically, this also means that I’ve been blogging for nine years.
The cookie recipe I use is the one from the back of the ninjabread men box, altered to be dairy free. Here is the dairy-free icing I make every year to decorate the ninjas. It sets up hard and glossy, perfect for transporting treats to school. Corn syrup is the magic ingredient that makes it work.
Happy Birthday, Eli.
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons dairy-free milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix all the ingredients together until well blended.
- You will be tempted to add more liquid as the icing is quite stiff, but don't!
- Spoon the icing into a piping bag.
- Use to pipe designs onto sugar or gingerbread cookies.
- I have the most success doing larger decorative items first (ninja masks) then going back and adding detail (ninja eyes) after the larger items are dry. That way they don't clump together.