Years ago, I posted this recipe from my local newspaper on my blog as a gift for my friend Beck because she introduced me to the wonder of beets in chocolate cake. But I never made these brownies. Come on, chipotle… and pickled beets?! In brownies?
Inspired by these award-winning Mexican Hot Chocolate Oatmeal Drops (so good) and a jar of pickled beets I needed to use up, I made these Dairy-Free Chipotle Brownies, and they are wonderful. Very moist, with a kind of buttermilk taste from the pickled beets. Even my youngest children loved them. I swear.
I don’t know about you, but I could use some chocolate to help me survive this killer fall sports/activities schedule, and I could also use a recipe that helps me use up obscure canned goods so I don’t have to shop. Win win.
- 1 jar sliced pickled beets
- 1 box dairy-free brownie mix
- 1/4 cup canola oil or other oil of your choice
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle puree
- 1 cup dairy-free semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly spray the bottom of a 9x13-inch pan with cooking spray.
- Drain beets, reserving 1/4 cup liquid.
- Combine beets and reserved liquid in a blender or food processor.
- Puree until smooth.
- Combine brownie mix, oil, eggs, pureed beets and chile powder in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir until blended.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 30-40 minutes.
- Remove from oven; cool.
- To make chipotle puree, puree a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. Store in a jar in the refrigerator.
- Because I used home-canned beets which didn't have much liquid, I used all the canning liquid in the recipe.